Friday, September 7, 2007

Sowing some culinary oats

Two recent recipes I've tried that were both questioned by Paul but deemed a success. Both are super-easy with very few ingredients. While I like making more complicated recipes, after work when I'm in a rush isn't always the best time to try them out.

I've had these at a local restaurant here in Albuquerque called Perennials (and yes, those who know me know that I am always on the lookout for Neil Patrick Harris every time we eat there even though I know we both like boys--I'd still probably go into teenage-giggle mode if I ever saw him). While seeing the owner's son would be icing, I really enjoy the food and I always try to order something that comes with the sweet potato fries. Or at least pilfer some off of someone else's plate. I need to work on how to make these a little crispier and will go lighter with the pepper next time. Perhaps if I used aluminum foil under the fries. Dunno. I'll have to keep experimenting.

Sweet Potato Oven Fries
2 sweet potatoes
1 egg white
salt and pepper to taste
Oven at 425 degrees

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into thin "french fry" slices. Coat with egg white and salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.

The next recipe, I've made a few times. I don't really have a name for them. Paul calls it "That Weird Thing You Do To Strawberries." That works. I was very skeptical the first time I saw the recipe but was in a rush for a dessert. I had everything on hand so I made this up. I've made it several times since--I think it was really good over homemade vanilla ice cream. The vinegar makes it a little tart and cuts the sweet of the ice cream. I made this last night for an appetizer/cocktail/bunch of women standing around gabbing party and they were a hit. One of the women said I should always bring them. I think that means it's a success.

In different recipes I've seen, there were different amounts given for sugar and balsamic vinegar. This is the first I found and just what I use. I also saw one that used mint rather than pepper. Might be worth a try sometime.

Carrie's Weird Thing to do to Strawberries (or Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar)

1 quart (16 oz) fresh strawberries, washed and cut in half
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. black pepper (can be omitted but it does add a nice kick)

Mix sugar, vinegar, and pepper together and pour over strawberries. Stir well. Refrigerate for an hour or so before serving. I usually serve this with pound cake but the homemade ice cream was good. Angel food cake would also be good, I bet.

And now, it is time for me to go eat lunch--a now-rather-disappointing turkey sandwich and orange. Healthy but not nearly as much fun.

3 comments:

Patsy said...

I'll have to try the strawberry recipe. You know your dad loves strawberries and pepper so why not throw in some vinegar and sugar ---
This may show up at Thanksgiving.:)

Loni said...

I make my sweet potato fries with butter and/or olive oil and garlic. The garlic/sweet potato combination doesn't sound like it would be good, but they are REALLY good.

They aren't crunchy though. I gave up on making them crunchy after burning them a few times.

Loni said...

and salt and pepper. Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper works best.