Saturday, June 23, 2007

Someone's missing this

When I got home from the grocery store this morning, this was in one of my bags.

Fillet of Herring in Real Sour Cream. Blech. It could be great stuff but blech. As I have never had an overwhelming desire (or any kind of desire) to sample herring in real sour cream, I'm fairly certain the person in front of me at the check-out is now missing a portion of his/her purchase. When Paul saw it, he declared it the "Most Disgusting Looking Stuff Ever." I'm tempted to try it just because but Paul has vetoed the idea of even opening the jar. (And I was trying to think of some clever/witty joke about red herring but couldn't do so. Please feel free to do so yourself.)

And just in case you've ever been sitting around wondering just what, exactly, is in the refrigerator of Paul and Carrie, behold:

I know your life is a little more complete because you've seen this. We have an Amana bottom freezer and way too many condiments. When we purchased our fridge seven years ago, these were fairly new on the market. I wanted one because I remember my grandparents having one when I was a little girl and Gran loved it. Plus it does make more sense to me to have the fridge part on top. Paul wanted this refrigerator because he liked the commercial. It was something about eating more grapes because the grapes were where you could actually see them. He still doesn't eat the grapes.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I went shopping this afternoon to see if I could find any clothes for our upcoming trip to Hawaii. Have I mentioned we're going to Hawaii? Less than a month now. . . Anywho, we haven't been on a vacation in four years and so I haven't bought anything for summer in as many years. I have, like, three summer outfits. I'm honestly the worst dress person in the world during June and July. I think I only wore my workout clothes last summer. I don't even own many t-shirts that should be worn in public. As I'm not a shorts person, I usually were these terribly comfortable and terribly unflattering cotton drawstring pants from Target with the ugly, worn-out t-shirts. I'm a sight, really. My mother would be so proud.

All of that was to say that I went to Old Navy today to purchase some suitable-for-public t-shirts and capris or skirts. In the dressing room, one of the little helper people was showing me to my room and had to write my name on the white board on the outside of the door. Normally I spell my name but this time I didn't. So today at Old Navy I was "Keri" with the i dotted with a circle. I feel so much cuter now.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Further proof our cat wouldn't survive on his own in the great outdoors--I bought food for His Royal Highness today. As I was pouring the food into the plastic container where we keep the cat food, a few pieces of food fell on the floor. Jubjub walked over to the food, sniffed it, and walked away. Apparently, he is too good to eat off the floor. (He does this with food from his dish as well--he's a messy eater but he won't eat any of the stuff he drops on the floor.) I'm sure I did something to make him this way but good grief, that cat is spoiled.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

At first glance, it looked like marshmallow stuff in jar. I thought you might be thinkin' about Rice Krispie treats. Now that I know what it really is... blech! Who eats that stuff?
I bet even ol' Jubjub wouldn't even eat it.
I bought a new refrig when we moved here last year. I was concerned about the shelves that supposedly would hold a gallon of milk and other stuff. Sure enough, one of the broke. (We, too, have way too many condiments.) I'm going to have to fight with Lowe's to get another one. The guy assured me it wouldn't break.
I shoulda stuck to my instincts.
I owned a home in Tucson and it came with the original, late 1950's/early 1960's appliances. They were sooooo cool. The refrig had lazy-susan metal shelves: everything swivelled out and the freezer was a bottom drawer. The oven was gas, an O'Keefe & Merritt, and had an oven and broiler on the bottom and a top oven with a fan... kind of like an early convection oven which was great for baking. My mom loved that oven... she could bake/cook and entire Thanksgiving dinner at one time.
Man, they just don't make 'em like they used to.
Enjoy your Sunday and, well, maybe you can donate that jar of sour-creamed-herring. Yuck!
:)

Patsy said...

There is probably a great recipe out there that calls for herring in sour cream --- you might try googling that. :) The contents of you frig is much more interesting than mine --- I wasn't so much curious about what you had in yours but the brand. We like the new Maytag that came with the apartment (drawer freezer on bottom) and knew you had that too, just didn't know which brand. We are considering this type for the new house. Have a good day.

Ruta said...

Ooooohh ... send that herring our way. Tomas loves that stuff, as do my dad and brother. It's an Eastern European delicacy. (I won't touch the nasty slimey thing, though, LOL).

Carrie said...

Ruta--does it have to be refrigerated? If not, I'll definitely send it your way. It will just get thrown in the trash here. No, we haven't already thrown it away--we just keep staring at it and shuddering every time we open the fridge.