Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My kid, the genius

Paul and I marvel every day at the things Henry can do.  We're both amazed to think that 8 months ago, he was pretty much a sleepy lump about whom I'd tell Paul, "I think I forgot to talk to the baby."  Now, he is a bundle of energy and motion that definitely can't be ignored.  I love to watch his little mind work as he figures something out, be it studying out the carpet or really working on getting crawling (still not quite there yet).  I can't imagine how exhausted he must be at the end of every day as a result of all that thinking and doing.

However, there are times we have to wonder. 

We recently (finally) lowered the mattress in his crib this weekend.  He's only just started being able to sit up on his own and still doesn't have much interest in pulling up so the impetus wasn't there until I walked into his room after a nap and he was resting his foot on the rail.  The bumper set for his bedding is in four pieces but because of the design of his crib, the end bumpers can't be used with the lower mattress.  There isn't a way to tie the bumpers on securely.  No worries, I thought.  It isn't necessary.

And it isn't, except he's woken himself up the past three nights hitting his head on the end of the crib as he squirms around in the bed.  We both laugh when we hear the thunk, knowing exactly what he's done and knowing what is to follow.  Thankfully he quickly goes back to sleep after we move him down a bit and give a few snuggles.  I just wonder how long it will be until he figures it out.

No comments: