Wednesday, June 3, 2009

We both have a little panic attack stepping on the scale

Any time we get anything in a box, Jub must check it out. He isn't a small cat--long, tall, and weighing in at about 13 lbs. The recent package from Amazon did not come in a 13 lb. box. Not that it stopped him from trying to claim it for his own.

Settling in. This is a cat who is determined to nap in that box:
De-ter-mined to fit:
And finally, even Jub had to acquiesce to the fact that his girth was too much for the box:
I like that you can really tell how small the box is when he's sitting in it.

As funny as the cat is trying to squeeze in the box, I'm giving him a little extra loving tonight (when he comes out of the shoe box that he's claimed as his own after Sunday's shoe purchases). I was spraying outside for bugs (figure we'll try that before I call an exterminator) and was sweeping up the leaves and other stuff along the back patio when I made another icky discovery. When I moved the grill, I discovered a nest underneath it. It was most likely of the mouse variety since there was the tell-tale fuzz that mice like to use as well as chewed seed pods from the yucca and the desert willow.  Eek!  I don't know like the recent varmint parade at our house! I'm SO thankful we didn't have a mouse in the house. With the four cockroaches we've had this spring, throwing a mouse in the mix would have meant the end of me in this house. I'd either have keeled over or just walked right out. I can handle pretty much any other thing but mice and cockroaches make me cry like a little girl. I'm also VERY thankful that the nest was not in use because I'm very certain I couldn't have handled baby mice. I'm not such a bleeding heart that I would have wanted them to live and grow and have mice families of their own but I'd have had to put a box or something over them and waited until Paul got home so he could take care of them.

I'm giving the cat credit for keeping the mice at bay. I doubt he had much to do with it but we've got to throw him a bone every once in a while. And you can bet that now I'll be out there moving the grill at least once a day and it won't be staying outside over the winter ever again.

4 comments:

Babbsie said...

I think that the cat in the box is funny! Let me tell you about mice. My neighbors hadto buy a whole new grill because they were nesting inside the grill. And then when they went to take up their deck they found like 2 or 3 snakes...I don't do either one. Right after that, we had a snake on the side of our house. We have somebrickes that stick out a little further than the others and he was just lounging there on the side of the house about 4 foot off the ground! YUCK!!!

Carrie said...

Thankfully this was under the grill although I did lift the lid to check inside to make certain there was no nest or mice in there. I would have gotten rid of the grill completely at that point. :::shudder::: I'm not a huge fan of snakes but they don't both me like other things.

I like the little world I lived in with only happy critters--bunnies, quail, big fat lizards, roadrunners with the occasional coyote and hawk to keep it interesting.

barkingquark said...

As I was putting the dogs out yesterday, I noticed Mojo picked something up and was kind of tossing it around. I looked closer... closer still... It was as freshly killed mouse. Q must have given it to Mojo (his bestest buddy) and Mojo was about to bring it to me.
Yikes!
I picked up an old flower pot, scooped it in and threw it over the back fence into the arroyo. I know... not very nice... but I wasn't gonna touch that thing! Hello! Hantavirus!
It's all biodegradable.
Jubbers is such a cat! I love the look of annoyance on his face.
:)
Natalie

Loni said...

Cats are awesome. Especially yours. :)

Rodents and icky insects, not so much.