Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ho-ho-holidays

So life continues to roll along for Paul and me. He was in D.C. the latter part of last week which gave me time to decorate the tree and the house for Christmas. I also handed out the invitations to our annual holiday party to be held on Dec. 21. I was debating not doing it, even as I was handing out the invitations, I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I have been in years past. I've got a general feeling of bah-humbug surrounding this Christmas season. I don't know if it's the lovely, un-Christmas-like weather (although today started cold and drizzly so it's a start), the general doom-and-gloom of the world, or what but I'm just not very excited about it. I've still got several gifts I need to buy and so far, I haven't been inspired with any great ideas on what to get the person. I always enjoy giving gifts and I always try to find thoughtful, interesting things for people--something they didn't even know they wanted but can't imagine how they ever lived without. Not so much for most gifts this year. But the house looks lovely and the party is always a good time and I'll be glad to see everyone if nothing else.

My weekend wasn't as productive as I had planned although I did get everything done that I'd intended to do except for going to the gym on Saturday and vaccuuming the upstairs. I try not to set the bar too high so I don't feel so bad when I don't accomplish much. I felt crummy most of Saturday and just as I was thinking I felt good, I fell asleep for an hour. So maybe I didn't need the gym so much as a nap. We went to River of Lights with Paul's parents last night. I didn't realize they hadn't gone before so I'm glad we suggested going with them this year. It was a nice night for it--not too cold and no wind.

The next two weeks are shaping up to be busy between stuff at work and holiday parties. I don't think it's really that bad but when I go from nothing to something, I start to feel overwhelmed by it all.

An overview of the next two weeks:
Dec. 8: meet with friend to catch up (I received this invitation for coffee and to talk; I was totally serious when I told her it better not be an Amway thing. It wasn't--just a chance to catch up and chat which I needed)
Dec. 9: JLA general membership meeting
Dec. 10: 7:30 meeting at school
Dec. 11: group pictures at school; Paul's company holiday dinner
Dec. 12: shopping with my mother-in-law after school
Dec. 13: my school's holiday party
Dec. 16: hair appointment
Dec. 17: JLA committe party
Dec. 18: school secret pal breakfast
Dec. 20: Matthew's birthday (OK, so we don't actually do anything here but I do need to send a little gift with their Christmas package)
Dec. 21: our holiday party

Thankfully, it's all pleasant things to do as well--just busy stuff. It doesn't look that bad except for the shopping, cleaning, mailing, working, and general life in between all the other things. I need to finish shopping and get packages mailed to Paul's brother and his family. We also need to figure out what the heck we're doing over Christmas--we'd like to go to Kansas to see Paul's family since we haven't seen anyone in a year but of course there is the visits to my family to consider as well. And, we've talked about getting tickets to the Cotton Bowl to watch Tech play there (although I doubt we do this; family obligations always seem to override any fun things) At least Paul is home for the next two weeks so it will be easier to figure all this out.

These were some fun pictures we took over Thanksgiving on the MacBook. Abigail didn't seem to enjoy it as much as Benjamin did. It took a bit to convince them that they didn't have to sit an inch from the computer to take the pictures.

Benjamin liked the PopArt effect. He LOVES green of any shade so the chance to actually be green was a big one.

He liked this effect as well, saying he looked like sunshine.
It's a warped, "The Scream"-esque sister picture. Except we couldn't stop laughing.
This one is my favorite of all the goofy pictures we took.


I like the look on Benjamin's face--I'm not sure he appreciated how much fun Amy and I were having here.


3 comments:

amanew said...

Dave question a couple of the pictures, but overall enjoyed them. The last one he said was "freaky, she should not make that face it would scare small children and me."
Me I could not stop laughing.

Donna said...

I'm laughing so hard right now I have tears in my eyes. I so totally love the first picture of Benjamin with his tongue stuck out... just too funny.

When are y'all heading to Amarillo?

Patsy said...

LOL I'm laughing at Dave's comment *scare small children and me*. That boy!

And hey, if you have the chance to get tickets to the Cotton Bowl then do it! That family thing is a little overrated at times. We get together on other occations so don't feel like you have to be there.

Your present from me will just be late if I have to mail it though. :)