Paul and I always joke that we're not very good at being grown-ups. Despite all those things that are put in place to make us into adults (mortgages, jobs, car payments, etc.), we bumble our way through life, half expecting someone to figure us out for the frauds that we are.
After a conversation with my mother yesterday, I've decided that perhaps Paul and I could be runner-up to my parents for the title of Worst Grown-Ups Ever. Even my mom agreed.
It seems that my parents managed to burn down their well house after leaving a dead stump burning unattended. Dad started it burning, told Mom to check it, and left to help a friend with some fence work. Mom and I chatted on the phone for a bit and then she left for a party at a friend's house. She received a phone call an hour or so later from another friend who let her know that there was a fire on their place and let her know that fire trucks were on their way.
Yes, folks--all those years of fire safety lessons that my mother taught her own children and at school seemed to have been forgotten. They burned down their well house. To the ground. Nothing left. Not the well, the various lawn equipment and garden stuff stored in there. Farewell to the silly stuffed pheasant that is still a vivid memory from my childhood. Gone. All gone. Thankfully, while it is bad that they've lost a bit of stuff, it isn't as bad as it could have been. The house is fine, the barn, storage shed, and carport are all fine. My parents are fine (albeit without water for a bit).
I just realized that I forgot to ask about the condition of the stump.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OH NO! This is terrible! I mean, I giggled a little over your last line -- the condition of the stump, *haha* *snort* -- but it's really not funny and I'm glad that everyone is okay.
I think after the initial shock, even my parents are starting to laugh at the absurdity of what they did. And there is always the big, thankful sigh of relief that comes with that laugh. It could have been much, much worse than it was. Talking with my mom yesterday (it was her birthday--she got a new well pump as a gift), she said they fully realized just how lucky they were when they saw that the leaves on the tree above the well house had been scorched. If the tree had caught fire, there probably would have been much more significant damage done. Someone was definitely looking out for them.
I did tell Mom that there were better ways to get rid of the stuffed pheasant.
Post a Comment