Paul laughs because I get weepy at the drop of a hat--commercials, stories I read, news reports. All have been cause for me to get a little teary-eyed. At least he finds it "cute."
Currently, the cause for tears is a Men's Wearhouse commercial that gets me every time. The voiceover/bearded man is talking about your wedding day--that it's about the bride's dress, her hair, her flowers. "But when everyone is looking at her, she'll be looking at you." And cue the tears.
It's been a while since I took that walk but I can remember it so clearly. I remember a few specific faces as my parents and I went up the aisle--my grandmother who wasn't smiling (she was trying not to cry she told me later), Paul's coworker Denny, whom I just adore. About midway up the aisle, I focused on Paul, who was just grinning from ear to ear. He looked *SO* happy about seeing me and I was completely enamoured by my almost-husband and the joy of the day. I knew right then that this marriage was one of the few things I'd ever get absolutely completely right in my life.
Later, while reflecting on the day, I was gushing to Paul about how amazingly sweet it was to see him so happy to see me coming up the aisle. The sheepish grin on his face cued me in to something being not quite right with my gushing.
Come to find out he (and all our attendants and the preacher) was watching my brother Gene and then-one-year-old niece, Holliday. It seems that Holliday had dropped her shoe and Gene was dangling her by her ankle over the pew to pick it up. So while I was feeling the love, Paul was laughing at the antics of my oldest sibling and his daughter. I might just be the only bride who was upstaged on her walk down the aisle.
I get a little weepy just thinking about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is a super sweet story...
I couldn't focus on anything during my walk up the aisle -- my dad was walking so fast, I felt like a rag doll being pulled along!
But it was funny seeing our older brother dangling his baby by her foot. I mean after the Preston/Doghouse thing, we didn't want a repeat of anything similar at your wedding! Nah, it was just darn funny!
Post a Comment